Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Devon has been training for obedience competition from the first day he entered our home.  As with all learning, we have had our share of ups and downs, but I would have to admit that overall Devon has had mostly 'ups'.  He began his scent discrimination at 6 months, and by the time he was 9 months old we were adding the turn and send.  Playing with go-outs helped enormously in keeping up his drive, while interjecting random interactive play during our heeling has made our teamwork blossom.  It's not quite as smooth as I would like yet, but Devon has a solid foundation and just needs maturity and experience.  People often ask how long I work heeling during a training session.  I actually allot a minimum of 15 minutes to heeling, 20-25 if time permits.  And yes, I time it.   If we do little else, I don't care.  Heeling comes first.

One of the 'interactive' games we do is 'twist' and 'spin' with a 'touch' or two as a flourish.  Even for their reward (and I am the primary reward!), they must work for it.  I do not dole out praise offhandedly.  Ha--just ask my dear husband!

Here's a sampling of how I keep Devon engaged:


No comments:

Post a Comment